It is desirable to measure a person’s metabolic rate at a true resting level. To ensure one is at rest, we recommend the following preparation:
- Avoid eating a meal 4 hours before the test.
- No exercising on the day of testing and no heavy lifting / intense exercise the day before.
- If possible, avoid the use of stimulants such as caffeine prior to testing.
- During the test it will be important to get into a comfortable position and relax as much as possible.
- Keep lips sealed lightly around the mouthpiece. It is important that all the air breathed out is analyzed.
- Breathe normally during the test.
- Please refrain from cell phone use during the test; this can cause interference with the heart rate monitor.
- The test length will vary from another person's test length; it could be as short as 12 minutes or as long as 24 minutes.